Mamacita says: Sometimes we hear a line or two from a movie, and we remember that line or two long after we’ve forgotten everything else about the movie. Sometimes that remembered line helps us remember other things about a movie, too; how much we liked the movie, loved the movie, hated the movie, etc.
I’m not including EXTREMELY famous movie quotations. You won’t see “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” on this list, except I guess you just did. This is a list of movie quotations that mean something to me. And since this is my blog, it’s all right that it’s all about ME today.
*And then I got this idea that maybe you’d like to try and GUESS which movies these quotations are from, so I deleted the titles and put them all at the bottom. No peeking now, until you’ve racked your brain!
1. I’d rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
2. You get what you settle for.
3. Old paint on canvas – as it ages – sometimes becomes transparent. When that happens, it is possible, in some pictures, to see the original lines: a tree will show through a woman’s dress, a child makes way for a dog, a large boat is no longer on open sea. That is called pentimento because the painter ‘repented,’ changed his mind. Perhaps it would be as well to say that the old conception, replaced by a later choice, is a way of seeing and then seeing again.
4. Come on in, and try not to ruin everything by being you.
5. I’m mortified, petrified, stupefied by you.
6. Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!
7. A heart can be broken, but it keeps beating just the same.
8. I was adorable once. Young and full of hope. Now, look at me. I’m a short, fat, insecure, middle aged thing!
9. Beginnings are scary. Endings are usually sad, but it’s what’s in the middle that counts. So, when you find yourself at the beginning, just give hope a chance to float up. And it will.
10. It’s full of stars.
11. A fire which never dies burns you forever.
12. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
13. What’s the good of thinking of misery when you’re already miserable?
14. I don’t blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them.
15. Now that’s what I call a close encounter.
16. When you hurt someone intentionally, that is not a “mistake.”
17. Exclusively what and restricted to whom?
18. To bend but not to break… to yield but not capitulate… to have pride but also humility. This has always been my struggle, Sister. Can I be less tolerant of Mary than the Church has been of me?
19. Is this how we dress for the office? You look like a blood clot.
20. It just got to the point where I couldn’t remember any of the reasons why we were together.
21. You ought to be horsewhipped. First you, then you, and then you again.
22. They’re either married or gay. And if they’re not gay, they’ve just broken up with the most wonderful woman in the world, or they’ve just broken up with a bitch who looks exactly like me. They’re in transition from a monogamous relationship and they need more space. Or they’re tired of space, but they just can’t commit. Or they want to commit, but they’re afraid to get close. They want to get close, you don’t want to get near them.
23. Some questions remain, but they are not to be feared.
24. There are some things in this life in which I don’t expect to be forgiven. Not by my children.
25. There are no little memories with you.
26. . . . what is war for if not to hold on to the things we love?
27. I know what you’re thinking… and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
28. What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than – than – than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!
29. Back off, man; I’m a scientist.
30. You don’t think I could grab a bull’s balls?
31. . . . my father said that if God took the trouble to tell us eight hundred times to be glad and rejoice, He must have wanted us to do it.
32. The flowers of Yorkshire are like the women of Yorkshire. Every stage of their growth has its own beauty, but the last phase is always the most glorious. Then very quickly they all go to seed. Which makes it ironic my favourite flower isn’t even indigenous to the British Isles, let alone Yorkshire. I don’t think there’s anything on this planet that more trumpets life that the sunflower. For me that’s because of the reason behind its name. Not because it looks like the sun but because it follows the sun. During the course of the day, the head tracks the journey of the sun across the sky. A satellite dish for sunshine. Wherever light is, no matter how weak, these flowers will find it. And that’s such an admirable thing. And such a lesson in life.
33. There’s only one thing men want. It’s no wonder there are so many of you.
34. For long as I could remember, the house on the Larkin Street Hill had been home.
35. When people tell me they are happy, my ass begins to twitch.
36. If you’re normal, who wants to be normal?
37. I feel so sorry for the old lady who lived in the shoe, ’cause it must’ve smelled real bad.
38. I was partial to tragedy in my youth.
39. I consider faith properly injected into a patient as effective in maintaining life as Adrenaline, and a belief in miracles has been the difference between living and dying as often as any surgeon’s scalpel.
40. The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
41. Ruthless trained killers are just a phone call away.
42. Someone get that dirty old man out of this operating theater.
43. You start worrying about your kids the day they’re born, and you never stop. Even after they bury you, I bet you never stop worrying.
44. Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
45. This is ridiculous. It’s crazy. I feel like I’m babysitting, except I’m not getting paid.
46. Your children love you, they want to play with you. How long do you think that lasts? Soon Jack may not even want you to come to his games. We have a few special years with our children, when they’re the ones that want us around. After that you’re going to be running after them for a bit of attention. It’s so fast,Peter. It’s a few years, and it’s over. And you are not being careful. And you are missing it.
47. If you marry her now, I’ll not give you the time of day.
Father, you don’t know the time of day! –
48. What charming underclothes you both have.
49. Before the service was over, they cleaned out the collection plates, scribbled on the Bibles, and stuck gum all over the pews.
50. It’s a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.
Scroll down for the answers:
1.– Steel Magnolias
2.– Thelma and Louise
4.– As Good As It Gets
5.– A Beautiful Mind
6.– Billy Madison
7.– Fried Green Tomatoes
8.– The Birdcage
9.– Hope Floats
10.– 2001: A Space Odyssey
12.– The Princess Bride
13.– The Diary of Anne Frank
14.– Jurassic Park
15.– Independence Day
17.– Auntie Mame
18.– The Trouble With Angels
19.– Big Business
20.– Notting Hill
21.– White Christmas
22.– The Big Chill
23.– The Hiding Place
24.– The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
26.– Shining Through
28.– Singin’ in the Rain
30.– Never Been Kissed
32.– Calendar Girls
33.– Nanny McPhee
34.– I Remember Mama
35.– French Kiss
36.– David and Lisa
38.– Clash of the Titans
39. — People Will Talk
41.– Love Actually
43.– There’s No Business Like Show Business
44.– The Fifth Element
45.– The Goonies
47.– Love Story
48.– The Rocky Horror Picture Show
49.– The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
50.– Waiting For Guffman
I love movie quotes, so if you like this kind of quotation list/quiz, say so in the comments and I’ll do it again. Or even regularly. Your call!