Many times, these new things we find ourselves doing are simple things that just require a little push to step up and do, like carnival rides, or unfamiliar foods, or meeting new people. Other times, we are actually talking about something dreadful that we’ve read or heard about, things like people who neglect or abuse their children, or someone who knocked over the liquor store, or hurt someone deliberately in any way. Sometimes, we say it when we hear about someone who has done something extremely brave or even heroic: climbed a mountain, saved a life, etc.
But then there are those times when those words come out of us. . . I could NEVER do that! . . . because we just can’t picture or even imagine ourselves in such a situation. Such as, you know, someone close to us facing serious surgery in, say, a few hours. And then, if we are made of anything sturdy at all, we step up to the plate and we do a lot of things we never imagined we could, or would ever have to, do, because when someone is depending on us, we always manage to come through.
1. I have never filled out an Advance Directive.
2. I have never packed a bag for someone else that didn’t contain vacation stuff.
3. I have never taken a permanent marker and drawn an X on someone else’s body without smirking snarkily. Because, you know, it, um, marks the spot.
4. I have never eaten any kind of egg except the kind you buy at Marsh for 89 cents a dozen. They’re from chickens, or so I’ve been promised.
5. I have never tasted heavy, dark rye bread without gagging.
6. Ditto for any kind of flavored soda if it came that way. Cherry coke, lime cola, lemon Pepsi, cherry Sprite. . . . No, thank you. In fact, get it AWAY FROM ME. I’d rather go without.
7. I do, however, enjoy the very occasional cherry coke if it was mixed at a fountain. Key words: very occasional. If it’s not a fountain coke, and it’s flavored, I have never been able to force it past my lips. It even SMELLS like medicine.
8. I have never cared for a thick hamburger. I love those extremely thin Steak & Shake burgers, though. You know, the kind that make people make comments such as “Did you want a little beef with that pile of pickles?”
9. In spite of my appearance and the assumptions one would naturally make thereof, I have never cared much for most pasta. Some pasta I adore. Most pasta, I do not. It’s all in the sauce, of course, so I suppose the correct phrasing would be, I have never cared much for most pasta sauces. But aren’t we picky tonight! Oh wait, that was me. Never mind.
10. I haven’t ridden in a heliocopter. I’ve watched enough MASH episodes to imagine how it must be, though.
Tomorrow promises to be a very long day. My tiny pink Asus EEE is charging up, as are my cell phone, my Mp3 player, and my iPod. One bag is packed and one more for me, to go.
I think I’ll finish watching the last two discs of Ugly Betty Season Two, and go to bed. Call any time tomorrow; I’ll mostly just be marking time.