Anne Shirley, she of Green Gables fame, used to say that if you could sit in silence with someone for a long period of time and feel comfortable, the two of you were true friends and would be forever.
I have had this experience twice in a one-week period, and both times, I smiled and KNEW that I was with a good friend and that it would be forever. As I write this post, I’m sitting with a dear friend and even though a great distance separates us, the magic of the internet closes any gaps and lets us sit and work together as though a cubicle wall were the only thing that separates us.
Friendship is such a wonderful thing. That sounds so trite and obvious, but I really wonder how many of us take it for granted sometimes, not realizing that a true friendship is a jewel far more rare than even a true love or a winning lottery ticket.
A true friendship is better than either of those two things, if each stood alone. Of course, a true love will include a true friendship, but a true friendship can stand alone.
The winning lottery ticket would sweeten the pot, but I’d choose the friend over the check any day.
Thank you, dear wonderful friends. You both know who you are.
I’ve been neglecting Ten Things Tuesday lately. I have no excuse. I just didn’t do it. I don’t accept that from my students but it’s all I’ve got right now.
1. Follett is now running the college bookstore and they are doing a terrible job. TERRIBLE.
2. Today was the first day of classes for me. So far, so good.
3. I forgot to eat today. Oops.
4. My friend is right. Corinthians IS one of the best ones.
5. My daughter sent me some pictures of her brief vacation. She’s beautiful in those pictures, just as she is in real life. Just simply beautiful.
6. My son came down for a visit and went back home today. I miss him already. The big company bathroom is covered with flaming red hairs. I’ll tend to that tomorrow.
7. Friends used to sew or knit when they visited. Now they sit in front of adjoining computers and visit. Well, my friend and I did, anyway.
8. My upside-down tomatoes are doing beautifully.
9. I love to hear Hayley Westenra sing.
10. I also love the Five Blind Boys of Alabama.
I have to get up early tomorrow, so I’d best go to bed before it’s terribly late. Then again, since it’s almost 2:00 a.m., I’ve already missed that cue, huh.
Compared to my schedule most nights, though, going to bed at 2:00 a.m. is pretty good. I hope I can get to sleep; I’m not used to “giving in” until 4:30 or 5:00.
And, if I’ve waited this long, I can wait until tomorrow to eat something.